Cyber Operations Senior Capstone
CYBV 498 is designed to provide Cyber Operations majors with a capstone experience emphasizing integration of knowledge acquired in previous courses. The course provides a culminating experience for majors involving a substantive project that demonstrates a synthesis of learning accumulated in the major, including broadly comprehensive knowledge of the discipline and its methodologies. Students are required to incorporate a field research study into their research project. Students engage in the development and production of a senior level research paper grounded in the relevant research and in a relevant and appropriate student engagement experience.
The objective of this course is for students to apply the Cybersecurity knowledge gained in this program, specialize in an area, and develop a well-researched thesis.
Expected Learning Outcomes
The student will:
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of the discipline of Cyber Operations by:
- Identifying different threat actors and their motivations in cyberspace
- Analyzing how information system security design, policies, practices, and people defend against threats in cyberspace
- Evaluating the effects of laws and gaps in legal guidance and precedent with respect to activities in cyberspace
- Apply competencies gained through an engagement experience to new contexts within the field of cyber operations.
- Exercise critical thinking strategies including reasoning, problem solving, analysis, and evaluation by:
- Analyzing and synthesizing theoretical and practical constructs within the field of cyber operations
- Critically reviewing and evaluating the application of selected theories to practical, real world situations
- Describing and evaluating how competencies gained in an engagement experience can be applied to new contexts
- Demonstrate advanced written communication skills by
- Conducting and reporting research
- Reporting, evaluating, and incorporating research conducted through engagement activities and academic sources within the field of cyber operations
- Developing, outlining, and preparing a thesis proposal
- Completing a comprehensive research paper